Our Postgraduate Network (PGN) is looking for a Vice-Chair, followed by progression to Chair. The candidate would be in post from from 4 November 2019 to May 2021 and would spend the first seven months as Vice-Chair, followed by 12 months as Chair. This position is held on a voluntary basis, requiring a 19-month total commitment in order to fulfil both roles.
If you're enthusiastic, hard-working, well-organised and committed then we want you to join our team. The opportunity is ideal for motivated and proactive PhD students seeking to diversify their skill base in working beyond their PhD research.
The BISA Postgraduate Committee promotes networking, support and guidance for PhD students and Early Career Researchers. We value and support the development of our members, so we organise workshops and events aimed at enhancing their learning experience and networks. You can find out more about the PGN on the PGN web pages
Purpose of the Position
The successful candidate will assist the PGN Chair in the effective running of the BISA PGN in close coordination with the BISA Executive Committee, the BISA Director and BISA Comms Manager. They will contribute towards meeting the research and professional development needs of our vibrant Postgraduate and Early Career researcher membership community.
Working for the BISA PGN Committee is a valuable opportunity to gain transferable skills, so we aren’t seeking specific prior experience. However, the successful candidate must live in the UK and be registered as a PhD student (full- or part-time) for the duration of their mandate as Vice-Chair and Chair. The ideal candidate will be committed and motivated to help steer the direction and long-term vision of the BISA PGN Committee.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
The Vice-Chair is an entry-level position progressing to lead the PGN Committee as Chair. It is an opportunity to learn to run the BISA PGN, assisting the Chair and coordinating tasks amongst the PGN Committee.
Chairing the BISA PGN requires:
• To coordinate the Postgraduate Committee by ensuring that our activities respond to the research and professional development needs of our members.
• To delegate tasks amongst the Committee.
• To liaise regularly with the BISA Communications Manager and BISA Secretary, and when necessary, the BISA Executive Committee members.
• To attend the four quarterly meetings of the BISA Executive Committee in order to report the progress of the PGN and implement any changes, (travel costs covered by BISA, extenuating circumstances may affect attendance).
• To contribute to the monthly BISA newsletter (when appropriate).
• To manage the Postgraduate budget allocated by BISA.
• To be the first point of contact for the PGN through the email account including responding to the enquiries of members, trustees, and external interests.
The closing date for applications is 25 October 2019 at 5pm.